Lockhart Garratt is a small environmental consultancy in the Midlands. Our offices are based in Northamptonshire and Oxfordshire and whilst we work in these local areas we often venture down into Suffolk, Essex and the South-West, as well north into Nottinghamshire and Yorkshire and more widely for some strategic projects.
We have a great team of ecologists (as head of ecology I am slightly biased) ranging in experience and expertise but are looking to expand further and recruit at a range of levels. We are a very friendly bunch and aim to promote a culture of inclusion at all levels, which includes the ability to have real input into the type of work we do and the direction that the team should be taking in terms of the future of ecology.
The majority of our work is development based and we undertake habitat surveys and protected species surveys to support planning applications for sites ranging from individual properties to large urban extensions. We have also been working hard over the last year to increase our understanding of Biodiversity Net Gain and have started to undertake some really interesting work with landowners that falls outside of the development remit. As a multidisciplinary consultancy we draw upon the expertise of our colleagues within forestry, arboriculture, soils and landscape to provide a comprehensive overview of land use and opportunities not just for BNG, but for carbon, landscape character, green infrastructure and natural capital enhancement. This is an area that we will continue to expand this year and further into the future
As such we need ecologists at all levels to support our ongoing client work. We are looking to provide entry level ecologists with the grounding in protected species surveys needed to apply for class licences and provide wider support to graduates with a graduate training programme. This is run across the company to allow graduates the opportunity to experience working within all of our disciplines.
For more experienced ecologists we offer the opportunity to expand into less development focussed work and provide specialist ecologist advice on more complex projects. There is also the option to lead and manage a team, as well as providing mentoring and training opportunities.
The role will encompass:
- Undertaking species surveys including; birds, GCN, badger, reptile and bats;
- Undertaking habitat surveys using Phase 1 and UKHab methodology;
- Undertaking ECoW supervision in respect of habitat manipulation and protected species;
- Undertaking BNG calculations using the appropriate metric and advising on way in which schemes can achieve net gains;
- Making applications to Natural England for mitigation licences, as required;
- Preparation of mitigation strategies including management plans, LEMPS and CEMPS; and
- Engaging with statutory agencies and other stakeholders on behalf of clients.
The right candidate should have:
- Have a good understanding of ecology, legislation, and survey techniques and keep up to date with new technologies and best practice;
- Hold a UK driving licence;
- Enjoy working in a team but have the initiative and drive to work independently where required.
- Ability and willingness to travel for survey work and to work away from home (occasional).
What’s in it for you?
Our aim will be to develop and enhance your career and make sure you reach your full potential. As an employee of Lockhart Garratt you would be entitled to:
- A healthy work/life balance
- Competitive monthly salary & bonus
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Time off in Lieu
- Professional membership fees covered by the company
- Travel expenses (for client & company travel)
- Dedicated training budget
- Annual outdoor working allowance
- AA breakdown cover
- Pension scheme
How to apply:
To apply for this role please complete the online application below.
For an informal discussion about the position, please contact me, Head of Ecology, Jo Alderton on 07971 349801 or by email email@example.com