14th – 20th October 2013
Celebrating the UK’s trees, forestry and timber resource
What is Grown in Britain?
Grown in Britain is a movement which aims to bring together everyone who values our forests, woods and trees and the products we can make from the wood they produce, including:
- Environmentalists and woodland owners who contributed to the policy-shaping work of the Independent Forestry Panel;
- Contractors, builders and retailers who want to buy, use and sell more British timber and woodland based products;
- Woodland managers, public and private agencies who want to see many more of our woods managed to produce sustainable and legal sources of wood.
What are the aims?
There are 3 key aims of Grown in Britain:
- To create a new and stronger market pull for the array of products derived from our woodlands and forests.
- To develop private sector funding that supports the planting and management of woodland and forestry through funding from companies as part of their corporate social responsibility.
- To connect together and harness the positive energy and feelings towards our woodlands and forests that many in our society share to create a strong wood culture. A wood culture that captures personal health and fitness, well-being, community and encourages the use of more wood forest product.
Grown in Britain is tackling every barrier that gets in the way of these aims. It is building on and bringing together the great work that is already being done by so many individuals, businesses and groups and it is relentlessly seeking solutions that will make a real and sustained change to the whole sector.
We as a company have been involved with this movement from the outset through various organisations, including the England Woodland and Timber Partnership (website to be launched shortly) and the Royal Forestry Society.
How can you get involved?
There are many ways in which you can get involved and help support this movement, including:
- Sign up to Grown in Britain – Those already signed include B&Q, Sylva, Defra, Duchy of Cornwall, Forestry Commission, Iggesund, Heals, Skanska, Wood for Good, Woodland Trust and Lockhart Garratt Ltd;
- Engage with activities, events and projects;
- Encourage owners of un-managed woods to manage them;
- Maximise yield from your woodlands;
- Contact Dougal Driver of Confor, with your ideas for developing your timber business;
- Purchase British wood products.
We actively encourage you to get in touch and share ideas and opportunities, just firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, if you would like to find out more information please visit the Grown in Britain website or telephone our Managing Director, Justin Mumford on 01536 408840 or email email@example.com, who is taking the lead role on this movement for Lockhart Garratt’s involvement.
“Grown in Britain will help to deliever a more efficient and vibrant industry and will help people recognise the true value of British timber and woodland.”
Justin Mumford, Managing Director, Lockhart Garratt Ltd